Sustainability in LAN CARGO and its affiliates
LAN CARGO and its affiliates are airfreight companies pioneering in environmental initiatives in the region.
These companies developed their environmental policies in accordance to the commitments of the airline industry as supported by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). These policies are based on four pillars: technological investments, improvement of operational efficiency, building and using an efficient infrastructure, and other economic measures.
For instance, the Company took various actions based on innovation and technology, which resulted in the lowest CO2 emission rates in the airline industry.
LAN CARGO and its affiliates' commitment to the environment are further reflected in the actions of its entire staff. Based on the LEAN philosophy, significant operational efficiencies have been achieved, that together with the continuous implementation of new technologies enables the Company to achieve an effective operational model that reduces the impact of their operations on the environment.
A quick look at the major milestones achieved, allow us to appreciate LAN CARGO and its affiliates' commitment to sustainability.
- Fleet Upgrades: The Company and its affiliates operate one of the most modern and efficient fleets. Its engines suffer less degradation allowing for reduced fuel consumption resulting in lower CO2 emissions.
- Noise Reduction: State of the art engine technology reduces noise pollution near major airports and at main runways.
- Installation of winglets: These are aerodynamic devices installed at the wingtips of aircraft, which decrease the resistance produced by the difference in air pressure between the upper and lower surfaces of the wing. During 2011, the installation of these devices was completed in 100% of the Boeing 767 cargo fleet, as well as the passenger fleet LAN CARGO and its affiliates have access to. The integration of this new technology allowed a savings of more than 4% of emissions generated by both of these fleets.
Improvement of operational efficiency:
- E-Freight: The system allows air cargo shipment to be fully processed electronically, without the need of any printed documents. This iniciative makes an important contribution to the protection of the environment by reducing almost 7,800 tons of paper consumption.
- Recycling of plastics: At the Miami warehouse a plastic compactor-recycling machine is available for recycling.
- LEAN Project: This is an internal project based on the implementation of a work philosophy that promotes efficiency and value to customers. Since its implementation during 2009, aircraft ground time and the use of the Auxiliary Power Units (APU) have been reduced, while benefiting from the use of the Ground Power Unit (GPU). In addition, weight onboard aircraft has been reduced; engine washes increased; flight procedures improved allowing the Company to focus further on direct flights and continuous descents. All of these initiatives, along with many others, resulted in a reduction of more than 100 million tons of CO2 in 2010, which represented a 2% fuel savings*.
* Fuel savings calculation includes LAN Airlines and its affiliates and LAN CARGO and its cargo affiliates.
Building and using an efficient infrastructure:
- Energy efficiency: In several facilities new lighting systems, automatic doors and gated access to the coolers were installed and modern electric forklifts acquired. Most recently, LAN CARGO's affiliate in Colombia inaugurated in 2011 modern cargo warehouses designed with the highest environmental standards in the industry.
Other economic measures:
- Measuring carbon footprint: The Company identified its environmental impact by measuring the greenhouse effect in the emission of gases.
- Green Aviation Partners: LAN Airlines and its affiliates- including LAN CARGO- are part of IATA's initiative seeking to substantially reduce CO2 emissions. Today, the number of emissions from LAN CARGO and its affiliates fleet is 47 kg. CO2/100 RTK, one of the most efficient indicators of the industry.
- CO2 emissions calculator: A tool that allows customers to know the CO2 emissions that result from the transportation of each of their shipments.
- Sustainability Report: Report of social, economic and environmental performance of the Company. You may access this information in the LAN Sustainability section.